Last Updated on April 12, 2023 by Toppr Nation
Parts of speech Exercises in English grammar are available for practice in PDF. Parts of speech quiz questions with multiple choice answers, fill in the blanks and paragraph questions. Get these English grammar exercises free in PDF. Solving these exercises can help you improve your English.
We know that there are eight parts of speech in English Grammar; Noun, Pronoun, Adjective, Verb, Adverb Preposition Conjunction and Interjection. The exercises related to these parts are given in this post.
Parts of Speech Exercises
We know that there are eight parts of speech in English grammar. If you have studied all parts of speech, check the exercises given to review your knowledge.
Read here about Parts of Speech with examples
Parts of Speech Exercise – 1
Exercise – 1 Find out the correct part of speech of the following italicized words:
- The girl is not clever.
- What do you want?
- The cow is grazing in the field.
- She wants to eat an apple.
- He has been learning music for two months.
- How much oil have you used?
- People speak English all over the world.
- They cannot jump here.
- Today she is not in the office
- Edison invented the electric bulb.
- How do you know the truth.
- It may be true.
- Honesty is the best policy.
- India is the seventh largest country in the world.
- It is very hot today.
- There is a bridge across the river.
- She will have washed her clothes by 2 o’clock.
- I am your teacher.
- Kate is not honest.
- What do you do on Sunday.
- Hurrah! We have won the match.
- Ram and Shyam are fast friends.
- The cat jumped upon the table.
Parts of Speech Exercises
Parts of speech Exercise – 2
Identify the parts of speech of each italicized word in the following sentences:
- You may sit here.
- He fled where his pursuers could not follow.
- He behaves badly.
- I shall punish you because you have done this.
- I spoke to his brother.
- She is too ugly.
- He finished first though he began late.
- Wait here till I return.
- He has seen this picture recently.
- Everybody expect good news .
- He doesn’t help me in trouble.
- The doctor gave me a tablet..
- I do it because I choose to.
- If I make a promise, I keep it,
- You will pass if you work hard.
- He can’t accept his mistake .
- The tiger runs fast.
- I do not know where I am.
- How clever you are?
- I could swim when I was six years old.
- She missed her train yesterday.
- A team of players from India has arrived.
- Tom had a little lamb whose fleece was white as snow.
- The postman brought the letter.
- The house that you bought belongs to my uncle.
- That boy cried for help.
- I have lost my purse today.
- It has been raining outside since morning.
- The boy stood on the bench to see the sky.
- They never fail who die in a great cause.
Exercise – 3
Here is exercise 3 of parts of speech. Name the part of speech of each underlined word in the following sentences:
- The hunter shot an arrow into the air.
- The train is not moving now.
- The child has been running since morning.
- They will sleep on the floor.
- Some boys helped the old woman.
- I had never seen such a beautiful place before.
- We shall go home tomorrow.
- Do not go there.
- He has a big car.
- The teacher asked the students to write an email.
- You have not read a book yet.
Answers of exercise 1
Exercise – 1 Parts of Speech
- Clever – Adjective
- You – Pronoun
- Cow – Noun
- Apple – Noun
- Music – Noun
- Oil – Noun
- English – Noun
- Jump – Verb
- Today – Adverb
- Edison – Proper Noun
- Truth – Abstract Noun
- May – Modal Verbs
- Best – Adjective
- India – Proper Noun
- Hot – Adjective
- Across – Preposition
- Clothes – Noun
- Your – Possessive pronoun
- Is – Linking Verb
- On – Preposition
- Hurrah! – Interjection
- And – Conjunction
- Upon – Preposition
- Examples of Present Indefinite Tense
- Simple Present Tense Rules and Examples
- Present Continuous Tense
- Present Perfect Tense
- Present perfect continuous tense
Exercise – 2 Answers
- Here – Adverb
- Pursuers – Noun
- Badly – Adverb
- Punish – Verb
- Spoke – Verb
- Too – Adverb
- First – Adjective
- Till – Conjunction
- This – Demonstrative Pronoun
- Everybody – Indefinite Pronoun
- Trouble – Noun
- Me – Pronoun
- Because – Adverb
- Promise – Noun
- Will – Modal Auxiliary
- Can’t – Modal Auxiliary
- The – Definite Article
- Where – Adverb
- How – Interrogative adjective
- Six – Adjective
- Yesterday – Adverb
- Team – Noun
- Had – Auxiliary Verb (form of to have)
- Brought – Verb
- That – Relative Pronoun
- For – Preposition
- Purse – Noun
- Outside – Adverb
- Bench – Noun
- Never – Adverb
See also these Grammar Exercises:
13 thoughts on “Parts of Speech Exercises : English Grammar”
I want exercise 3 answers
I Want exercise ~3 answer
where can i find the answers of exercise 3 ??
Can i get the answers of exercise 3…
Assalamualaikum ma’am, please give me…EX NUM : (3) answer please.
In exercise 1 question number 8 *jump* is not a noun it is a verb
Ex 3 Ans:
1. Arrow- Noun
3. Since- Preposition
4. Sleep- Verb
5. old- Adjective
7. Tomorrow- Adverb
8. go- Verb
9. Has- verb
10. to write- verb
11. read- verb
I need more exercise grammar english
More exercise about parts of speach
Past perfect examples
Learn English Grammar in Hindi.