Collective Nouns Exercises and Worksheets with answers free, Collective noun exercise for practice. These exercises are very useful for kids, students and English learners.
Collective Nouns Exercises
Exercise -1 Find out the collective nouns in each sentence:
- A team of doctors has arrived in the hospital.
- A flock of birds flew over the village.
- A hive of bees was flying there.
- She bought a loaf of bread at the market.
- The group of dancers will dance in the party.
- The herd moved towards his fields.
- Did you see the army of soldiers there?
- I have met a crew of sailors today.
- A crowd of people gathered on the road.
- A band of musicians will perform in the party.
Answers: 1. team, 2. flock, 3. hive, 4. loaf, 5. group, 6. herd, 7. army, 8. crew, 9. crowd, 10. band
Exercise – 2 Fill in the blanks with correct collective noun:
- A ________ of students
- An ________ of singers
- A ________ of crooks
- A ________ of spectators
- A ________ of directors
- A ________ of players
- A ________ of thieves
- A ________ of birds
- A ________of stars
- A ________ of keys
Answers: 1. class, 2. choir, 3. bunch, 4. crowd, 5. board, 6. team, 7. gang, 8. flock, 9. galaxy, 10. bunch
Exercise – 3 Fill in the blanks with suitable collective nouns:
- My __________ won the match by three goals.
- I saw a __________ of ships in the harbor.
- The ship has a __________ of a hundred sailors.
- A __________ of bees flew out of the hive.
- The __________ found him guilty.
- A __________ of five was appointed.
- The police dispersed the __________.
- A __________ of cattle was grazing in the field.
- A __________ of sheep was seen in the field.
- The __________ of soldiers has marched away.
- A __________ of birds flew over the hills.
- They saw a __________ of lions at the zoo.
- He ate a __________ of grapes today.
- Police have arrested a __________ of thieves.
- The __________ of pupils are listening attentively to their teacher.
Answers: 1. Mob, 2. Regiment, 3. Crew, 4. Flock, 5. Herd, 6. Swarm, 7. Committee 8. Jury, 9. Fleet, 10. Team, 11. Flight, 12. Pride, 13. Bunch, 14. Gang 15. Class
Exercise – 4 Complete the sentences with appropriate collective nouns:
- A _____ of thieves robbed the bank in the town yesterday.
- A _____ of singers sang on beautiful songs on my birthday party.
- There is a _______ of puppies behind the garden.
- She gave me a _______ of roses today.
- Jack tied the _______ of sticks with a piece of rope.
- The children saw a _______of dolphins in the pond.
- The _______ of members will accept this proposal.
- A ______ of geese was seen by the children.
- A ______ of fish was swimming in the pond.
- He bought a ______of bread from the shop.
Answers: 1. gang, 2. choir, 3. litter, 4. bouquet, 5. bundle, 6. school, 7. committee, 8. gaggle, 9. shoal, 10. loaf