A, An & The articles exercises in English grammar for practice. Definite and Indefinite Articles exercises of grammar are given here free to read. Fill in the blanks with articles and correct the articles exercises are given below. Get English Grammar Exercises to learn more.
There are two types of articles; definite and indefinite.
- Definite Article – The
- Indefinite Articles – A and An
A, an and the articles exercises
Exercise – 1 Fill in the blanks with a or an as may be suitable:
- The boy looks as stupid as____owl.
- He is ___ teacher.
- You are ___ intelligent boy.
- Copper is ___ useful metal.
- I bought ___ cow and ___ ox.
- He is ___ honour to his country.
- Ceylon is ___ island.
- He is ___ untidy boy.
- He has ___ umbrella.
- John had ___ wonderful lamp.
- She returned after ___ hour.
- Ronny met him ___ year ago.
- He is ___ S.P.
- My father is ___ M.A.
- He is ___ humble old man.
- The Ganges is ___ sacred river.
- She is ___ unique girl.
- That is ___ long story.
- I have ___ red ball.
- She is ___ one eyed girl.
A, An and The – Exercise – 2 Fill in the blanks
Complete the following sentences by filling in a or an where necessary.
- She purchased ___ dozen apples.
- ___ lotus is ___ flower.
- It is pleasant to go for _____ walk in the morning.
- ___ fly is ___ insect.
- ___ mango is ___ fruit.
- He is ___ driver.
- Your brother is ___ player.
- Please give me ___ to read.
- You may have ___ cup of tea.
- ____ girl ran across the street.
- There is ___ little milk in the glass.
- She gave me ___ book yesterday.
- My friend is ___ hockey player.
- This is not ___ good plan.
- She doesn’t have ___ car.
- Today I bought __ pen for you,
- Gold is ____ useful metal.
- He is ___ American.
- Are you ___ Indian?
- Is she ___ singer?
Articles A, An and the Exercises
Exercise – 3 Fill in blanks with article a, an or the where necessary
- This is ___ book which I gave you yesterday.
- Seema is ___ foolish girl.
- ___ earth moves round ___ earth.
- ___ sun is ___ star.
- She returned after ___ month.
- My father is ___ postman.
- English is ___ easy language.
- Which is ___ longest river of the world?
- She is not ___ foolish girl.
- ___ breakfast is ready.
- Do you play ___ cricket?
- Iron is ___ heavy metal.
- I waited for you for __ hour.
- ___ girl in the corner is my sister.
- He caught me by ___ arm.
- ___ Ganga is ___ sacred river.
- ___ lion is ___ king ___ forest.
- Your sister is ___ intelligent girl.
- You tell ___ lie.
- This is ___ apple.
Definite and Indefinite Articles Exercise – 4
Fill in the blanks with suitable articles a, an or the:
- Birds fly in ___ sky.
- ___ apple ___ day keeps ___ doctor away.
- ___ more he reads, ___ less he understands.
- Honesty is ___ best of all.
- It takes two to make ___ quarrel.
- She is ___ unique girl of the village.
- What ___ clever man he is?
- Do you want ___ cup of coffee?
- He is ___ university professor.
- Half ___ loaf is better than no bread.
Exercise – 5 Correct the following sentences using indefinite articles ‘a’ or ‘an’.
- Many man is born in abject poverty.
- He has lot of money to spend on trifles.
- What idea you have!
- great many friends of his are rich.
- We eat soup with spoon.
- He eats apple a day.
- What grand idea you have!
- I want to buy computer.
- She has book.
- I don’t want to write essay.
A, An and The Articles Exercises in English Grammar
Get more exercises
- Parts of speech exercises
- Noun Exercises
- Pronoun Exercises
- Common and Proper Noun Exercises
- Collective Noun Exercises
- Material and Abstract Noun Exercise
Articles Exercises A, An and The
Exercise – 6 Fill in the blanks with a/an:
- He wrote ___ essay yesterday.
- She has ___ pen and ___ ink pot.
- You should take ___ umbrella. It may rain today.
- Have you ___ car?
- Half ___ kilo sugar is enough for me
- Iron is ___ hard metal.
- Cricket is ___ popular game.
- ___Italian came to see me.
- It is ___ hour’s distance from here.
- He is ___ orphan.
- I have ___ coin in my pocket.
- There was ___ little water in the glass.
- My uncle has given me ___ book today.
- She gave me rupees two and ___ half.
- My father bought ___ ox, ___ cow and ___ pig.
- French is not ___ easy language.
- India is ___ great country.
- ____ aeroplane can fly fast.
- Mumbai is ___ big city.
- We should take ___ bath daily.
Exercise – 7 Fill in the blanks with a, an or the:
- ___ dog is a very faithful animal.
- She is ___ intelligent student.
- People should not tell ___ lie.
- We should always speak ___ truth.
- ____ rich hate ___ poor.
- Jane is ___ untidy girl.
- John is ___ honest boy.
- Hindi is not ___ easy language.
- It is ___ easy task.
- Edition was ___ intelligent boy.
Fill in the blanks with a/an/the/Ø
- Tom goes to ___ university by car; it takes him ___ hour to get there.
- ___ most boys are interested in ___ cars.
Read more a, an, the articles exercises
- Articles Exercises (a, an and the)
- Definite/Indefinite articles exercises
- Examples of Present Indefinite Tense
- Examples of Present Continuous Tense