Material and Abstract Nouns Exercises in English to find the correct material and abstract noun from the following sentences. Nouns Exercises are free to view or download in PDF.
Exercise – 1 Find out the Material Nouns in the following sentences:
- Can you drink water?
- Trees give us oxygen.
- Gold is a precious metal.
- Flour is used to make pancakes
- Wood is used to make furniture.
- Can you knit a sweater with wool?
- I don’t prefer to use plastic pots.
- She is carrying oil now
- They want to buy some rice.
- I bought a copper glass yesterday.
Answers: 1. water, 2. oxygen, 3. Gold, 4. flour, 5. Wood, 6. wool, 7. plastic, 8. oil, 9. rice, 10. copper
Exercise – 2 Pick out the Material Nouns:
- Glass is breakable.
- I have a tin box which is full of wheat flour.
- Rubber is used to maker tyres.
- Does your wife wear Silk saree?
- The prices of gold are rising up day by day.
- He bought a pair of leather shoes for her daughter.
- She is baking a loaf of bread with flour in the kitchen.
- Jack wears cotton shirts.
- Iron is used to make tools.
- We don’t take any medicine without doctor’s advice.
Answers: 1. Glass, 2. wheat, flour, 3. rubber, 4. silk, 5. gold, 6. leather, 7. bread, 8. cotton, 9. Iron, 10. medicine
Exercise – 3 Find out the Abstract Nouns
- They all love honesty.
- There is no happiness without wealth.
- You should always speak the truth.
- My dad never tells a lie.
- The soldiers are rewarded for their bravery.
- I don’t believe in his innocence.
- I have a room which is forty feet in length.
- Wisdom is better than strength.
- Poverty is a curse.
- He is known as his cleverness.
Answers: 1. honesty, 2. happiness, wealth. 3 truth, 4. lie, 5. bravery, 6. innocence, 7. length, 8. wisdom, strength, 9. poverty, 10. cleverness
Exercise – 4 Form the Abstract Nouns with the Adjectives given below:
Answers: 1. length, 2. strength, 3. youth, 4. pride, 5. poverty, 6. justice, 7. cruelty, 8. Wisdom, 9. vacancy, 10. ignorance
Other Noun Exercises: